Dear fellow Texans,
We are now less than 30 days away from a legislative special session called by Governor Greg Abbott that will begin on July 18th, 2017. The regular legislative session adjourned on May 29th. In his initial announcement, Governor Abbott identified 20 items that will be included on the special session call.
Special session agenda items will include:
- Sunset legislation
- Teacher pay increase of $1,000
- Administrative flexibility in teacher hiring and retention practices
- School finance reform commission
- School choice for special needs students
- Property tax reform
- Caps on state and local spending
- Preventing cities from regulating what property owners do with trees on private land
- Preventing local governments from changing rules midway through construction projects
- Speeding up local government permitting process
- Municipal annexation reform
- Texting while driving preemption
- Prohibition of taxpayer dollars to collect union dues
- Prohibition of taxpayer funding for abortion providers
- Pro-life insurance reform
- Strengthening abortion reporting requirements when health complications arise
- Strengthening patient protections relating to do-not-resuscitate orders
- Cracking down on mail-in ballot fraud
- Extending maternal mortality task force
I am encouraged to see so many conservative priorities on this list. I stand ready to get back to work in Austin in July to finish the job we started and welcome your feedback on what is of highest priority to you.
May God continue to bless the great state of Texas!
P.S. Learn more about the accomplishments of the regular legislative session here.